Pages

Monday, January 4, 2010

Introduction by way of Review Meme

Greetings! I'm Mara, and this blog is going to be my tale from fresh 80 to (hopefully) successful raider. Because my blog is starting at the same time as 2010, I thought this Review Meme would be an appropriate introduction. Found at BlogAzeroth.

What did you do in the World of Warcraft in 2009 that you'd never done before?
Participated in a world event enough to get the achievement 'Noblegardner' and my first title: "Marariel the Noble". The most difficult thing about it was trying to put the bunny ears on all the different races. I spent a lot of times outside the crossroads, hoping the right races (and gender!) would come by, before I gave up and bought a port to Dalaran.

What was your favorite new place that you visited?
Storm Peaks. I greatly enjoyed flying around and discovering everything on the map. So many times I had to stop and take screenshots because things were so interesting. And shiny; especially at the tops of the temples.

What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
A night that is specifically for my guild. Eventually this would be raid night; but in the meantime it would just be a night for my guildies and I to all be online hanging out, running dungeons, and helping our lower level members. We would also like to form an alliance with another guild looking for a mature, easy-going raid environment. At the present, Memento Mori is formed of people who know each other in some way. However, we are scattered all over the place. A night just for us would help us to stay connected during school times.

What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Progressing as far as I did, lol! I can be a bit a.d.d. when it comes to WoW. Some days I'm all about leveling my main, but others I just want to work on professions. Or I want to pull out another character and work on them for awhile. My biggest achievement was getting Mara to 78, while also leveling a paladin to 33 and a priest to 46, and while getting my DK's professions to 300+.

What was your biggest failure?
Not sticking to goals I had previously set for myself. We wanted to get our guild off the ground in the summer of 2009. This means: establishing our ranks and particular rules, getting our guild bank organized, recruiting, and building the guild website. We didn't get past establishing ranks and rules. Also, I wanted to hit 80!

What did you get really, really, really excited about?
The quest chains in Northrend. They're all really interesting and they really match up with the story of Arthas. The details they put into the quests and showing the history of what happened in Northrend has been incredible. It's sparked some interesting questions and debate as well. My roommates and I have even sat around the table discussing the moral implications of the Culling of Stratholme.

What do you wish you'd done less of?
I wish I had created less deathknights. I've played through their starting area almost four complete times. Twice because friends of mine have refused to switch servers, so if I wanted to play with them I needed a character on their server. Callaan went really well: I leveled her out of Archerus and started her on mining. By the time she went to Outlands she already had enough money from selling ore and bars to buy her flying mount. That was all really awesome until my friend cancelled his account. Now it just looks like a huge waste of time. Le sigh.

What was your favorite WoW blog or podcast?
Kungaloosh by Abi. The Lrn2Meta guide has been absolutely instrumental in planning my spec for endgame and for learning about why particular talents are better than others. And gemming. That was an important lesson. :) Kungaloosh also introduced me to many many other blogs that have been helpful and entertaining.

Tell us a valuable WoW lesson you learned in 2009.
Patience is essential for everything you do. Sometimes your tank is not very good, or your healer is not paying attention, or the dps attracts about 30 more mobs to play with. Patience and communication goes a long way towards regrouping and completing the goal.


No comments:

Post a Comment